Dirtygrooves
Monday, October 16, 2006
  VKTMS - Roma-Rocket / Too Bad!!
Well, I was listening to some records with my kids tonight while my wife was at her scrapbooking club out on a drinking spree, and this one really got the crowd out on the dancefloor. Sorry, but I didn't get any photos of that.

1979 San Francisco action and probably my favorite female-fronted US punk record. And that's saying something, what with your Avengers, Legal Weapons, Nuns, Bags, etc.

Four songs. Midget was included on the Bloodstains Across California compilation, but all four tracks are great. The music is totally raw, but the true genius is in the lyrics. First you have Roma Rocket, a paean to their favorite fortified wine:

"Well we don't need no Red Jockey
And Ripple is only just ok
MD 20/20 feels like kindergarten
There's only one wine that's really got it

It's bright and red(?)
It tastes like Draino
But its purely lethal, Italiano
If you drink it you must be able
It'll put your ass right under the table

Roma Rocket Roma Rocket
Makes you throw up in your pocket, Roma Rocket
Roma Rocket Roma Rocket
Makes you throw up in your pocket, Roma Rocket"

Then you have Too Bad, which is about a wimpy synth dude's inability to get it up. To top it off, Midget is about the singer's lover who is just the right height to please her while standing.

I found this at the Englishtown Flea Market in New Jersey a long time ago in a box of crap LPs. So that explains the missing sleeve and the fact that the record skips a little. Big deal. It was kinda dirty too but I rinsed it under the kitchen faucet for a couple of minutes and it cleaned right up.

VKTMS - Roma-Rocket.mp3

VKTMS - Too Bad!!.mp3

There's a CD out with their entire recorded output. You can get it here.
 
Comments:
thanks for announcing I was at nerdsville "scrapbooking club".
 
I remember all of us getting into that VKTMS 7". I'm pretty sure it was Freddy Alva who turned me onto it. And then I taped it for you, right? Don't know which female fronted punk band I like the best but I remember being blown away the first time I heard X-Ray Spex "Oh Bondage Up Yours" (which was when I saw that movie "D.O.A. A Rite of Passage").
 
I like these songs. Update your site, you lazy fuck.
 
That may have sounded rude.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Yeah, yeah, it's another audio blog with a bunch of weird records found in a pile of crap somewhere. If you like that kinda stuff then you might like this one, who knows?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States
ARCHIVES
September 2006 / October 2006 /

Subscribe


LINKS
Toe Stubber
Modern Drunkard
Museum of Bad Album Covers
Static Party
Low Down Kids
Mod Pop Punk Archives
Waxidermy

Audio files are posted here as a way to promote and generate interest in some great offbeat music that I have run across. I think a lot of folks will try to go track down vinyl or CD releases of the stuff they like. If you are an artist or label and for whatever reason you want me to remove an audio file, just send an email to dirtygroovesblog AT yahoo DOT com and I'll take care of it right away.

Powered by Blogger